Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Barack Obama Is Blacker Than Rod Blagojevich.

"I'm blacker than Barack Obama. I shined shoes. I grew up in a five-room apartment. My father had a little laundromat in a black community not far from where we lived, I saw it all growing up..."-Former Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich


"[Obama could be president because] he is light-skinned and has no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one."-Nevada Democrat Harry Reid


As soon as Barack Obama was sworn in as the 44th President of the United States, I predicted an undertone of racism, but not in a bad, per se. America is a country built on race-related opinions, thoughts, & actions as well. There's no denying that. As such, I believe most denizens of the country harbor small amounts of racism that seep into daily life. Not malicious, or harmful by any stretch. In fact, it's the exact thing that both of these men showed when they spoke about the POTUG.


First & foremost, I want to point out that Black isn't a country, anywhere on the planet. This is the reason "we" refer to ourselves as African-Americans. Only in America are we Black. Any other country, we're American. Odd, no? Personally, I'm an American, of African descent. Just saying.


In theory, Blacks are supposed to act a certain way. Sad, but true. No matter how sophisticated, or educated, we're expected to have a certain amount of shuck & jive in our step. Maybe it's a slower stroll, with a slight bop every third step, maybe it's replacing "Hi" with "What's up?", or the more archaic "What's Happenin'?", perhaps we're supposed to use all those phrases that have been ingrained into society's psyche, like "saaaay whaaaat?" or "get back, jack!", or maybe we're supposed to refer to each other as "home slice" & "cool breeze", kna'mean, my brutha? Not to mention the ability to rap & tap dance is a trait we inherit at birth, & should showcase those talents as often as possible. Maybe if President Obama busted a rhyme for the cameras at his inauguration, people would respect his blactivity a little more.


I've always been amused at the reasoning behind Bill Clinton being labeled our "first Black President". Why, because he ate at McDonalds-which targets lower class minority communities, plays a musical instrument for all to see, & has an affinity for sexual deviance? Sadly, yes, those are the reasons.


As a result of them being as woven into American culture as the scent of apple pie, stereotypes don't really bother me. & honestly, I don't think White people can jump or dance. & don't show me Larry Bird or Justin Timberlake, because I never saw Bird dunk, & Justin is an anomaly. Michael Jackson envy will do that to a person. As for Barry O. (a term I first heard from a White reporter...hmmm), he doesn't live up to the stereotypical requirements of being a Black man in America. Aside from the fact that his dad ran off, he's noticeably intelligent & articulate, which doesn't translate to traditional Black persona. What the hell ever. It's like, as a kid, my father was a stickler for proper grammar, my grandfather as well. So, I pronounced & enunciated as I was taught. But, to the kids who didn't have that responsibility, I was less than Black. Often teased. I knew better than to think I was "actin' White", but it did bother me from time to time. Not much though. I'm sure Barack feels the same way. It's like one of those back-handed compliments, like "Oh, she has a nice personality...", or "You're cute for a big girl."


I'd bet money that a fair percentage of voters voted for Barack because he is Black, but not in the "I have a dream" sense. More the, "Black people are cool" aesthetic. Those people are dumb, if that's the case. They must not have heard that gay is the new Black. & Middle-eastern is the new gay. They probably would've done well to watch some more television before they voted.


[tony's note: sorry, I couldn't think of any gay, middle-eastern dudes to use an example of who those type of toolbags should've voted for...]


America needs to take off the jiggaboo-tinted glasses they watch Barack through, really though. Let the record show that he is the quintessential Black man. An American of African descent, who assumes responsibility & takes charge, of his family & beyond. I may not agree with all his political actions, but like it or not, we voted for the man we thought would fufill his agreement. I, for one, believe that by the end of his tenure, he will have achieved & overcome many of his targeted areas. But, that's neither here nor there. I proudly claim that half of who (secretly) smokes Newports & loves to play basketball. For every story that the media circulates that illustrates "the Black man" in a negative light, there's 5 stories that shine light on Barack. Through the muck & mire of political warfare, there's a Black man who, with his wife & daughters by his side, stands tall, even after attempted character assassination. You can't put a color, or a race, on that type of resilience.


Hey Rod, don't you have some pressing legal issues to be more worried about? Just asking.

2 comments:

Capital G said...

And I quote - " I saw it all growing up.."

Big difference between seeing and living. I saw alot of movies growing up, doesn't mean I've lived the shit too. Someone get this pompous douchebag a dictionary and a mirror pronto. Ain't this muthafucka going to club FED soon?

BLESSD1 said...

"Maybe if President Obama busted a rhyme for the cameras at his inauguration, people would respect his blactivity a little more."

Sorry Grands; Michael Steele has done that, and you see where it's about to land him. His, "Mo tea, suh" routine embarrassed Republicans, and for all of his boot-licking, he's about to be ousted. I do believe that our Black president is the quintessence of cool, and that garnere a lot of votes for him. He is a man among men, who, "with his wife & daughters by his side, stands tall, even after attempted character assassination." That's the trait that I most admire about him, and makes me glad that he holds the office. God bless him.